Yikes! Your braces have come apart! What’s next? Experiencing broken braces can be an unpleasant shock, but fear not – Dr. Manzella and the Manzella Orthodontics team have got your back! In this article, we’ll explore the usual reasons for broken braces and the steps you should take if you find yourself in this situation. Additionally, we’ll offer some valuable advice to avert future problems.
How To Not Break Your Braces
Understanding the reasons behind broken braces is the first step to prevention. Here are some common factors that can lead to damaged braces:
- Hard or sticky foods: Biting into hard foods such as apples, nuts, or popcorn can cause braces to break or come loose. Sticky foods like caramel, chewing gum, or toffee can also get stuck in the braces, causing damage.
- Trauma to the mouth: Accidents or injuries during sports or other activities can cause braces to break if there is a strong impact on the face or mouth.
- Oral habits: Biting nails, chewing on pens, or using teeth as tools to open packages can place undue stress on the braces and cause them to break.
- Poor oral hygiene: Insufficient cleaning can lead to plaque buildup, which can weaken the braces and cause them to break.
- Normal wear and tear: Braces may experience wear and tear over time, which can cause them to break. Regular check-ups with your orthodontist will help promptly address any potential issues.
They Broke! Ugh! What Now?
If you find yourself with broken braces, here’s what you should do:
- Stay calm: It’s important to stay calm and assess the situation. Determine which part of your braces has broken, such as a bracket, wire, or band.
- Check for discomfort or pain: If you’re experiencing pain or discomfort, try rinsing your mouth with warm saltwater to soothe the area. You can also use orthodontic wax to cover any sharp edges that may be causing irritation.
- Call us: Contact our office as soon as possible to report the issue and schedule an appointment.
- Follow the doctor’s instructions: Dr. Manzella may provide specific instructions on caring for your broken braces until your appointment. Be sure to follow these instructions closely to avoid further damage.
- Keep the Area Clean: Maintain good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing around the broken braces, being extra gentle to avoid causing further damage.
Prevention – The Best Kind of Repair
- Taking steps to prevent future breaks can help ensure a smooth and efficient orthodontic treatment. Follow Dr. Manzella’s tips to keep your braces in tip-top shape:
- Stick to a braces-friendly diet: Avoid hard and sticky foods that can cause damage to your braces. Opt for softer options like steamed vegetables, mashed potatoes, and yogurt. Cut larger items, like apples or carrots, into smaller pieces before eating.
- Wear a mouthguard: If you play sports or engage in other activities that may pose a risk to your braces, consider wearing a mouthguard to protect your teeth and orthodontic appliances.
- Break bad oral habits: Avoid using your teeth as tools, biting your nails, or chewing on objects that can damage your braces. If necessary, seek help to overcome these habits.
- Maintain good oral hygiene: Brush and floss regularly to keep your braces clean and free from plaque buildup. Use fluoride toothpaste and an interdental brush or floss threader to clean your braces effectively.
- Attend regular check-ups: Visit our office regularly for adjustments and inspections to ensure your braces are in good condition and your treatment is on track.
- Follow your orthodontist’s instructions: Adhere to any additional instructions or recommendations provided by Dr. Manzella to minimize the risk of breaking your braces.
Maintain Your Braces At Manzella Orthodontics
At Manzella Orthodontics, we understand that accidents can happen. We’re committed to helping our patients navigate any challenges that may arise during their orthodontic treatment. We offer many orthodontic solutions for kids, teens, and adults, including clear aligners, clear braces, and metal.
We are dedicated to providing exceptional care and support throughout your orthodontic journey. If you ever encounter issues with your braces or have concerns about your treatment, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We’re here to help you achieve a healthy, beautiful smile!
Dealing with broken braces can be stressful, but understanding the common causes and taking steps to prevent future breaks can minimize the risk of damage to your orthodontic appliances. If you do experience a break, remember to stay calm, assess the situation, and contact your orthodontist as soon as possible.
At Manzella Orthodontics, Dr. Manzella and our dedicated team are devoted to delivering exceptional orthodontic care for our patients in West Seneca, NY. If you have any inquiries about your braces or orthodontic treatment, please feel free to reach out to us. We’re here to assist you in attaining the smile you’ve always desired! Visit our website here to begin your journey.